[lit-ideas] Re: Dance and other cards

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:43:21 -0800

While I have been off witnessing condo races and water twisters in L.A., I
have apparently missed an important party, one at which I was nominated to
cook.  Apologies.  I trust that the whisky was Trader Joe's best, that Erin
let the microbrewed keg settle before it was tapped, and that the two who
started all this led you in suitably literary dances, an Allemande to begin
perhaps, followed by the Haymakers, some Jigs and Hornpipes, a minuet, a
riotous reel?

My excuse for disturbing the silence is poor.  Having spent the morning
reading things like, "For all intensive purposes, I will consistently use
this terminology throughout the paper," I was delighted by the following
history, "My great-great uncle [identity snipped] was the village
blacksmith, who was best known for fitting a ring in the nose of a circus
bear without the use of a tranquilizer.  My great-great grandfather [i.d.
snipped] was an inventor who sued Thomas Edison for patent infringement
concerning a magnetic iron ore separator.  In the 1950's William [snip], my
grandfather, was a programmer on the UNIVAC, the first civilian use
"computer"... [snip]...  Sharing an interest in all of these things, from
forging metal to programming computers, I feel that I am part of all that
came before me."

There, wouldn't you want to read the rest of the thesis and see the art that
arises from such an inheritance?  Well done that man.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon