[lit-ideas] Re: D. P. Henry's Quæstio Subtilissima

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 08:06:32 -0400

Is the figurative use of 'chimaera' enculturatedly implicated?

In a message dated 10/20/2015 9:30:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Well now, I guess we need not inquire as to whether Christianity is
misogynistic or not. If it hadn't been for all that unintentional sinning,
the
whole earth would be goat land. Thank God, I've never sinned
unintentionally. I plan my sins out to maximize the benefits, of course some
would say
that's not an unintentional sin. Nonsense, say I, I had no intention that
it be a sin. Twasn't me wanted it that was. ... Still radically
unintentional in Memphis, Tennessee, born and raised and enculturated (my
word) here
through no fault of mine own.

Well, and I hope it also went to show that Geary's original idea of a
one-year she-goat being, I use Geary's words, "a fire-breathing female monster
with a lion’s head, a goat’s body, and a serpent’s tail" makes for a
complex expansion of the holy ghost's implicature.

I append in ps the versions as per Geary's proposal, replacing the biblical
phrase by Geary's expansion of it. As the replaced versions show the
implicatures change dramatically in each version: and the explanation is
Griceian: since it seems so otiose for the utterer of that Biblical passage
("the
holy ghost,", ultimately, Geary notes) to request of his addressee such a
monster, the implicature seems to be more of a disimplicature, and a mere
one-year she-goat seems to be meant. (In general, edible things were asked
for sacrifices in most cultures -- although, as many on this list may
testify, what counts as 'edible' is implicatural in nature -- or encultural,
as
Geary might prefer.

A conversational illustration: Geary tells us he never sinned
unintentionally; so this indictive does not apply naturally to him, but I can
imagine
an ancestor of his who did, for whom the following dialogue is provided to
explicate the implicature:

****

A: if one person sin unwittingly, then he shall offer a fire-breathing
female monster with a lion's head, a goat body, and a serpent's tail for a
sin-offering.

Geary2: Whoa?

A: Thou heard'st allright: a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's
head, a goat body, and a serpent's tail.

(ONE MONTH PASSES)

Geary2: I found what thou were asking.

A (after examining the offering): This is all right -- all most -- but it's
not FEMALE (shows relevant part). Try better.

Geary2: I suppose that if I was able to find a fire-breathing MALE monster
with a lion's head, a goat body, and a serpent's tail, thou art implicating
that, somewhere -- over then yonder rain bow? -- I would eventually find
his female companion?

A remains silent (implicating, 'yea').

(ANOTHER MONTH PASSES).

Geary2: I must remain unabsolved off my unintentional sin. Thou art asking
for a chimaera -- and the worst part of your implicature, is that thou
knowest it!

(Popper could later use the example as the scientist's endless search for
counter-examples to refudiate an unrefudiable theory -- cfr. 'unicorn',
'phlogiston').

A: Chimaera? Art you being figurative in your manner of speaking?

Cheers,

Speranza

(a) King James Version 21 “‘And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he
shall bring a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat
body, and a serpent's tail for a sin offering.

ASV And if one person sin unwittingly, then he shall offer a
fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat body, and a serpent's
tail for
a sin-offering.
AMP ‘Also if one person sins unintentionally, then he shall offer a
fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat body, and a serpent's
tail as a sin offering.
AMPC And if any person sins unknowingly or unintentionally, he shall
offer a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat body, and a
serpent's tail for a sin offering.
BRG And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a
fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat body, and a serpent's
tail
for a sin offering.
CEB If an individual sins unintentionally, that person must present a
one-year-old female goat for a purification offering.
CJB (vii) “‘If an individual sins by mistake, he is to offer a female
goat in its first year as a sin offering.
CEV But if one of you does wrong without meaning to, you must sacrifice a
year-old female goat as a sacrifice for sin.
DARBY And if one soul sin through inadvertence, then he shall present a
yearling she-goat for a sin-offering.
DRA But if one soul shall sin ignorantly, he shall offer a she goat of a
year old for his sin.
ERV “But if only one person makes a mistake and sins, that person must
bring a female goat that is one year old. That goat will be the sin
offering.
ESV “If one person sins unintentionally, he shall offer a female goat a
year old for a sin offering.
ESVUK “If one person sins unintentionally, he shall offer a female goat a
year old for a sin offering.
EXB “‘If just one person sins ·without meaning to [unintentionally], a
year-old female goat must be brought for a ·sin [or purification; Lev.
4:3]
offering.
GNV ¶ But if any one person sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a
she goat of a year old for a sin offering.
GW “If one person unintentionally does something wrong, a one-year-old
female goat must be sacrificed as an offering for sin.
GNT If any of you sin unintentionally, you are to offer a one-year-old
female goat as a sin offering.
HCSB “If one person sins unintentionally, he is to present a year-old
female goat as a sin offering.
ICB “‘Just one person might sin without meaning to. He must bring a
year-old female goat for a sin offering.
ISV “Now when one person sins inadvertently, then he is to bring a one
year old female goat for a sin offering.
JUB And if any person sins through ignorance, then he shall bring a she
goat of the first year as the sin.
KJV And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a she goat
of the first year for a sin offering.
AKJV And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a she
goat
of the first year for a sin offering.
LEB “‘If one person sins unintentionally, that person will present a
female goat in its first year as a sin offering.
TLB “If the error is made by a single individual, then he shall sacrifice
a one-year-old female goat for a sin offering,
MSG “But if it’s just one person who sins by mistake, not realizing what

he’s doing, he is to bring a yearling she-goat as an Absolution-Offering.
The priest then is to atone for the person who accidentally sinned, to
make
atonement before God so that it won’t be held against him.
MEV If a person sins unintentionally, then he will bring a year-old
female
goat as a sin offering.
NOG “If one person unintentionally does something wrong, a one-year-old
female goat must be sacrificed as an offering for sin.
NABRE If it is an individual who sins inadvertently, this person shall
bring a yearling she-goat as a purification offering.
NASB ‘Also if one person sins unintentionally, then he shall offer a one
year old female goat for a sin offering.
NCV “‘If just one person sins without meaning to, a year-old female goat
must be brought for a sin offering.
NET “‘If any person sins unintentionally, then he must bring a yearling
female goat for a purification offering.
NIRV “ ‘But suppose just one person sins without meaning to. Then that
person must bring a female goat for a sin offering. It must be a year old.
NIV “‘But if just one person sins unintentionally, that person must
bring
a year-old female goat for a sin offering.
NIVUK ‘“But if just one person sins unintentionally, that person must
bring a year-old female goat for a sin offering.
NKJV ‘And if a person sins unintentionally, then he shall bring a female
goat in its first year as a sin offering.
NLV ‘If one person sins without knowing it, he must bring a one year old
female goat for a sin gift.
NLT “If one individual commits an unintentional sin, the guilty person
must bring a one-year-old female goat for a sin offering.
NRSV An individual who sins unintentionally shall present a female goat a
year old for a sin offering.
NRSVA An individual who sins unintentionally shall present a female goat
year old for a sin-offering.
NRSVACE An individual who sins unintentionally shall present a female
goat
a year old for a sin-offering.
NRSVCE An individual who sins unintentionally shall present a female goat
a year old for a sin offering.
OJB And if any nefesh sin through shegagah, then he shall bring a
she-goat
of the first year for a chattat.
RSV “If one person sins unwittingly, he shall offer a female goat a year
old for a sin offering.
RSVCE “If one person sins unwittingly, he shall offer a female goat a
year
old for a sin offering.
VOICE “If an individual sins by accident (and the congregation catches it
in time), he should offer a female yearling goat as the sin offering.
WEB “‘If one person sins unwittingly, then he shall offer a female goat
year old for a sin offering.
WYC That if a soul sinneth unwittingly, it shall offer a [she] goat of
one
year for his sin; (And if someone sinneth unwittingly, he shall offer a
one-year-old she goat, for his sin offering;)
YLT `And if one person sin in ignorance, then he hath brought near a
she-goat, daughter of a year, for a sin-offering;