[lit-ideas] Re: Custer at Gettysburg

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:23:07 -0000

Having re-read (a cursory attempt) Coddington, what struck me most was that Pickett's Charge was seemingly a lesser alternative to what Lee actually wanted which was a continuation of Longstreet's assault on the Federal left flank. Longstreet had failed to get Pickett up in time to begin what he (Longstreet) had planned which was an enveloping thrust round both Round Tops against the federal left rear. When Lee arrived to find this intent and the absence of Pickett, he re-worked his plans and came up with Pickett's charge.

Meanwhile, as your message says, Ewell's attack on Culp Hill was precipitated by Federal attempts to retake positions that they had relinquished (by mistake it seemed) on the previous day. According to Coddington, the battle for Culp Hill fizzled out by late morning, before the Confederate artillery bombardment preceding Pickett's Chrage had begun. As such, what the fatal charge needed for any success - an inability for Meade to reinforce his threatened centre - wasn't there. Coddington also says that Meade had gathered together a reserve force of some 13,000 behind his threatened centre with which to counter any successful assault.

Meanwhile, Stuart could be found some two to three miles behind the Federal lines with four thousand poorly-armed troopers, perhaps four or more miles away from Lee and on the oposite side of the battle lines, waiting for an opportune moment to spring his own attack.

Not having read Harman's book, I'm certainly no authority (I would be any sort of authority if I had read it) but it seems that he would have to come up with some pretty strong evidence to substantiate his case. If Pickett's Chrage was to be reliant on one or more subsiary actions - Ewell and Stuart - and if one of those subsisiary actions hadn't come off - Ewell - then surely Lee would have held Longstreet back.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ritchie" <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>