[lit-ideas] Cucumber Tenor

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:13:59 EST

"Scansion problem leads to unwarranted repetition"

This is the claim in an online site for the classification of lyrics into
good or bad. The above is a mark of a bad lyric.

I would be interested to discuss the issue.

My focus would be opera tenor arias:

          disprezzo, disprezzo  il fato

sings the tenor in Bellini, "I Puritani". Is it _necessary_ to repeat the
'disprezzo'. There are two ways out. One is to lengthen the 'e' of
'disprezzo'  and sing

         dispre-e-e-e-ezzo il  fato

(I do that).

Another is to add what Geary calls a 'filler':

         disprezzo assolutamente il  fato.

There may be other ways out.

In general, the mark of a good lyric is "Gricean", i.e. not repetitive. Not
 for nothing one of his conversational maxims is "Do not be repetitive".

When a tenor keeps repeating, I call it a 'cucumber'.

JLS