[lit-ideas] Re: Crossing the Jordan

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:07:48 +0000 (GMT)

Glasgow kiss? Not even a Glasgow puckering-up:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otBklevC1mE

That's more a Kensington Kiss care of Burlington Bertie, as Joe's response
indicates. (To say Joe remains "calm" is only true relatively speaking).

The BBC site reported on the Captain's apology:-

"The Italian, making his 450th appearance for the Rossoneri, added: "I was
nervous. We were both speaking Scottish, something that I learned when I played
in his home city of Glasgow, but I can't tell you what we said."

This would likely be not Scots gaelic but a distant cousin of English spoken
only in Glasgow; a secret language passed from generation to generation and
impenetrable to outsiders, "Scottish" appears to consist only of the occasional
intelligible noun and verb strung together in a rapid rattle of guttural
noises; some linguists have tied this "Scottish" with its typical non-verbal
behaviours, like the "Glasgow kiss", speculating that its reliance on a primary
place of articulation near the back of the oral cavity reflects anticipation of
teeth and other bone objects, like fists, landing there. Or it could be they
were just both swearing, unprintably.

Donal
Closer to Arsenal than Tottenham
London