[lit-ideas] Re: Counterfactual - Iraq vs Saudi Arabia

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:10:14 -0700

Mike:

I just got back from the dentist and don't feel like dredging through my
books and articles looking for the references, but maybe you'll take my
word.  This isn't a huge point.   We deliberately decided to back Saddam
against the Ayatollah because we thought Khomeini's Islamist "Revolution"
(the Ayatollah's term) a greater threat than Saddam's thuggery, but when it
looked like Saddam was going to be too successful we put the brakes on our
support of Iraq and did something, I can't recall quite what, to keep Iran
from collapsing utterly.  The latter support may have been through an ally.

Lawrence