[lit-ideas] Re: Counter-Suggestion

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:44:19 -0400

 So, for the 'good boy', it seems, to use D. Wilson's parlance, it's an
> 'echoic' use or mention. He is echoing or mentioning other people's (notably
> his  parents') use of 'good boy'.

Absolutely, the 'good boy' started when he was about 8 months old
whenever he did something that we asked him to do. Now, it's just a
reaction that he "echoes" as you and Wilson say.

> So, under _unobserved_ circumstances one wonders if he'd say that, or skip
> it as redundant?

He does it when we're not in the room. Whether or not he knows we can
hear is another issue to consider.Whether he actually knows what 'good
boy' means is still another. I do know that he can already instantly
identify verbs, nouns, objects, adjectives and adverbs from sentences,
so his gleaning of "good boy" from my 'that's a good boy" or "you're a
good boy" or the imperative "be a good boy" is telling that he does.