[lit-ideas] Counter-Suggestion

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:52:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/7/2009 12:34:09 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
Lying-promises made out of  self-interest commit a practical contradiction
in
that 1) if everybody did  it, nobody could do it
----

This touches on a similar scenario discussed by Grice. Since P. A. Stone
says he doesnot need the Gricean formula I'll use a scenario of P. A. Stone
and  his son:

P. A. Stone says to his son, "Turn off the light" (I know it did work with
my father and me).

The son, in an act of disobedience, does not.

P. A. Stone is aware of that, therefore, instead of _learning_ the  child
(I use 'learn' to mean 'teach') utters:

                                          "Keep the light on!"

therefore the child disobediently goes and turns it off.

Grice (WOW, v -- googlebooks) asks:

Could we say that when [P. A. Stone] utterered, "Keep the light on!" he
meant that his addressee was to turn it off? The answer Grice gives is  "yes".

Mutatis mutandis, a community of counter-suggestible addressees _is_
possible; therefore perhaps O. W. may reconsider his interesting claims?

Cheers,

JL Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
cntnew00000007)