[lit-ideas] Re: Correction and Weight Watchers (1974)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 11:00:21 -0500

>> Uh, Andy, hmmm.    How many gay guys do you know personally?

> A.A.  Personally?  As in up front and personal?  Let's see.  Probably
about as many as I know serial killers. <

Yes, that's what I assumed from your post.

> But does that mean the FBI can't profile serial killers and know generally
what drives them? <

I have no idea what the accuracy rate of criminal psychological profiling
is, but even if it's high, the profiles are made through in-depth,
historical  knowledge of specific personality types, not through accepting
stereotypes about them.  Homosexuals are not a specific personality type,
they are as varied in personality as the heterosexual population -- and
that's my point.

> Do you really think that being something gives people any clue to why they
do what they do, or can't stop themselves from doing what they don't want to
do? <

If you weren't such a new member, you'd know that the last thing I trust is
self-knowledge.  And I'm not sure what that has to do with the question
anyway.  I'm not saying that you have to BE a homosexual in order to pass
judgment on them, I'm saying you need to KNOW some homosexuals, then you
wouldn't think of passing judgment on them any more so than passing judgment
on Italians or Americans.

> So, in short, yes, I think observing is often a better way to know
something than to be in the midst of it. <

Yes, every prejudice thinks it knows all it needs to know.  All I'm
suggesting is that your TV sitcom observations of homosexuality leave a bit
to be desired, if you'll forgive my saying so.

Mike Geary
Memphis
a queer city if ever there was one
and gay, too!