[lit-ideas] Correction

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 08:37:48 -0700 (PDT)

Just as I was waking up today it came to me that in the recent fat posts, I
wrote that a BMI of 26 or higher is obese.  Wrong.  26 to 30 is overweight.  30
or over is obese.  The mechanism behind aging, whether it be genetic, free
radical, infammatory, whatever, is only being guessed at.  I think it's safe to
say death will be with us for quite a while.

Argh, I just googled up Roy Walford.  He died a couple of weeks ago, and he was
only 80.  Well then, live and learn.  And die.  So, Donal, you're right.  To
heck with this biochemical machine.  In the battle of the Sybarites vs. the
Spartans, Dr. Kevorkian wins.  Looks like what works in laboratory animals
doesn't always translate to humans.  Most likely the most we can hope for is to
improve the quality of our lives, not the quantity.  Michael Jacobson be
damned.  A big bag of Nachos and brie looks like real quality to me.

Okay then.  Where's my skirt?

A.A.