[lit-ideas] Re: Correction

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:15:08 -0800

Bill Ball wrote [edited}:

Try to see if they can tell the difference between the numeral 2 and the number two.

Most students I ‘ve found have a difficult time going from phenomena to [noumena].

I'll bet that most non-students have the same difficulty. You might recast the problem by asking what 2 and other numerals refer to. Most of us would be uncomfortable with the view that numbers—two and the rest from zero/zed on—are, as are numerals, just marks on paper; but what more they are isn't easy to say.

If behind each numeral there is a particular sort of Kantian noumenon, (a number?) then the view that noumena are essentially unknowable interferes with the belief that numbers have definite and specifiable properties.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute