[lit-ideas] Re: Convert! Or Die!

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:19:46 -0000

> It [only in Islam is fundamentalism the mainstream] was a point
made by
> a Muslim female intellectual several years ago

Irshad Manji, presumably.

My problem with comments like

LH>There is considerable evidence that the "majority" of Islam
LH>(something we have pursued here on Lit-Ideas from time to
time)
LH> is fundamentalist.  Fundamentalists share the goals of the
extremists
LH>except for the one involving violence

is that it defines "fundamentalist" as "one who shares the goals
of the extremists except for the one involving violence" (quite
an exception, incidentally).  It overhomogenizes the "Muslim
Community".   Are the Hijab Barbies like that?

(The UK does face some problems the US doesn't -- re Muslims
and non-Muslims -- but that is not about religion or even,
perhaps,
about the US "melting-pot"*.  I've argued on lit-ideas that
the US's selective immigration policy is key -- Muslim US
immigrants
having been more skilled and educated.  I've recently read
that not only is this so but US Muslims are better-educated and
better-paid than other US groups.  Not that I think the US
emphasis on Americanism is irrelevant.)

(*An old-fashioned notion now anyway, the US is more
pluralist than melting-pot and has been for some while.)