[lit-ideas] Re: Control

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:47:30 -0400

Except that we don't guess.  We educated-guess from his words and his
behaviors.  We also know generally that dry drunks are depressed.  We know
depression follows a certain set of more or less predictable criteria.  We
know that he chose Condi and that Condi tells him what he wants to hear.
That tells us that he controls what she tells him.  She's been called his
lackey, his office wife.  He therefore is in control.  Colin Powell
ultimately did his bidding too. Christy Whitman of EPA said in an interview
that, in effect, they beat you into submission, everyone gives in, but
Powell had to have his arm twisted.  Condi is, what's the word, softer,
plus she takes care of him.  All this is known.  I don't begrudge him
choosing people he's comfortable with.  Working with people you can't
stand, the way Lyndon Johnson did with Bobbie Kennedy, has to be hell on
earth.  It seems you'll never be convinced that his actions aren't done in
a vacuum.

Changing the subject, I got around to watching Baran last night.  It's
Iranian and I recommend it.

Andy Amago

We know, or