[lit-ideas] Re: Consolations of Philosophy

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:23:55 -0800

on 11/3/04 11:05 PM, Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx at Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For courage and strength to continue in the midst of the struggles of Life,
> I share one of what gives me the ability to keep on walking.

That "Ulysses" is so popular in the U.S. [insert here passing and suitably
witty reference to current reading, Ev Ehrlich, "Grant Speaks"] comes as a
surprise to me.  Cut and paste the last two lines into google and you'll see
what I mean.

Bitchpanic, widdershins, God of the Machine...  I suppose people at literary
conferences are now doing studies of literary web sites.  For all I know,
there is a sub-discipline, "Web Site Studies," that will soon demand space
in the undergraduate curriculum, three slots in the queue behind "Cultural
Studies" and directly in front of Stephen's favorite, "Studies Studies."

Ask not for whom the desk groans; its piles beckon me.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon