[lit-ideas] Consolations of Philosophy

  • From: atri2715 <atri2715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:59:30 -0500

The current interpretation seems to be  that the
academic-financial-entertainment elites have lost touch with the common
people. This is a fascinating phenomenon. I once opined that the people are
probably wrong and the elites are right, but that idea was hard to contemplate
for many. We will see how this plays out instead.

The majority of people, as we know,  were concerned about god, gays, and guns.
They rejected what they perceive as the danger of the endlessly permissive
society. It is easy to condescend to these sentiments.  But the democratic
elites had little or nothing to say about this basic concern.  Perhaps out of
this defeat a more serious, classically democratic party will emerge, one that
embraces the economic and social concerns of common people instead of
assaulting them  with relentless cultural deconstruction that perplexes many
fundamentally decent, if unsophisticated,  folk. But I wouldn't worry about
the democrats too much either. The long term trend is still toward
liberalization, and that momentum is probably hard to reverse.

Take care--

Alex