[lit-ideas] Conjunctionally Titled Pubs & Their Invited Implicature

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:19:48 EDT

It is my contention that a lot (60%?) of the pubs in England have what I
call "conjunctional names". An online source:
"Some particularly colorful examples I have come across include: "The Swan
and Castle", ... and "The Crab and Lobster.""

Within _these_, I guess the idea is that the customer may _easily_ retrieve
the reason for the conjunction (e.g crab and lobster), while it's less obvious
 with others (swan and castle is obvious enough, but bird and baby -- The
Child  and the Eagle -- mythological reference -- and "Lamb and Flag" are less
obvious.

Cheers,

JL