[lit-ideas] Concerning the struggle to abolish first names (5)

  • From: "phatic" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:18:00 +0200

Georg Johannesen:
CONCERNING THE STRUGGLE TO ABOLISH FIRST NAMES
_A contribution to the word class struggle as a Norwegian love story_

4. Now

So what? What else? What about me and my first name? Well, I am still
persecuted by friendly people. They claim that I look like this or
that person, whom they claim to know. Some even say when they see me:

-- But isn't it Georg?

People think it will make me happy when they say I look like an able
or rich person. It doesn't make me happy. Everybody looks like
someone, I think. Everybody looks alike. I can see that. So what? And
then the hobby-horse rears it's head again: But why do they have
different names? In our time?

I do not ask: What is your name?

No, I ask: Why are your named?

Addressing children close to me, I try the old joke. I ask:

-- How old is your name from?

Then they laugh. So what?

It is not going so well with the abolishment of first names. People
don't understand what I mean. But people know very well who I am.
Thus, the diametrically opposite situation of what I want: that
everyone will agree with everyone and then that everyone will forget
each other. So what? What now?

I'm devising compromises and trying to be more conciliatory. I will
accept that people have family names. Father, mother, grandfather in
Oslo, grandmother in Bergen, my sis-brother, all of it fits together
and retains meaning. I am not a fanatic. I accept that I have
siblings and brothers even under the current system where all people
are each other's enemies. My brother is called Johannesen.

I am also retreating on the question regarding the use of first
names, not only in practice as with Ib and Bo, but also
theoretically. In Africa there is a country with seven first names
after the days of the week. Why not? Or even 24 first names after the
hours of the day. Why not?

The Romans used numbers. Quintus is a first name which means five. I,
for instance, is the second of siblings. Two could have been the name
my parents gave me. They could have said:

-- There's the second!

The second Johannesen or Two Johannesen would have worked for me.

And speaking of numbers -- also regarding remuneration for this
manifesto -- my social security number is: 220231 - 36108. The first
number means that I was born 22 February 1931. But is 36108 supposed
to signify the number of people born on the same day? The number is
too big for Norway, and too small for Eurasia. 36108 could mean that
I will die the third of the sixth in the year 108 after Marx, or some
other era without a name. After Marx means in my way: after nobody
remembers Marx anymore or at least not Karl. But people may go on
calling me  thirtysix or sixandthirty with 108 as surname. I couldn't
care less. The tax authorities' serial number is prepolitical
numerology and historical positivism without correspondence in the
blushing productive forces in modern ovaries. My marginal tax is 50%.
So what?

Well, I have found my solution privately and personally: I weaken!
When people greet me these days, I respond weakly while thinking:

-- Who on earth was that?

I live in the Oslo valley where geniuses crawl from subsidised
employment in universities, publishing houses, parliaments, and
similar places. I meet great politicians, great poets, and great
administrators everywhere, particularly in caf=E9s.

-- Who on earth was that?

Then I quickly think:

-- I remember the face. But what was his name now?

This morning I had precisely that feeling when I was in my bathroom,
shaving, while looking intently into the mirror: Who on earth was
that? I remember the face. But what was his name now? That feeling
gave me enough courage to step out in public with a final appeal.

5. Final appeal

Do not think that I started with the most difficult revolutionary
work! No. I simply engaged in the struggle against the use of proper
names of a certain kind, the so-called first names. What, then, about
verbs? What about the subjects who, with the aid of transitive verbs,
do as they like with any object? Any author and philologist knows as
well as any speaker and reader that language is constructed in a
hierarchical and undemocratic way. To struggle against first names is
hardly any more radical than to declare oneself in opposition to the
monarchy. (Olav, Harald, Haakon!) That's a poor beginning. For there
are many other words. What about the word classes? Which poet today
is willing to participate in the word class struggle? None? Or all?
Or the other way around: What about the material basis? Teeth?
Larynx? The hand that holds the pen? What is the typewriter's
position on this issue? People still accept a firm separation of
nouns and verbs: The boy walks. And then the boy walks. They think.

Speaking for myself, I am in an increasing state of doubt in this
matter.

Thus it follows:

IMEGOODNIGHTYOUYOU?

Why should words separate? What is the difference between a question
mark and an exclamation mark?! Why doesn't "and" and "but" mean the
same? Yes, it does, but it doesn't. Always =3D Never. Yes =3D No. And but
why has correspondanceschooleducationalmethod 37 letters when the
crucial article "in" only has two? I was happy "in" Liv, where are
you? She doesn't answer. I cough while my typewriter chops and
strikes and all personal pronouns change places: you-I-I-you! Ancient
languages was dialectical with beautiful adjectives of the type
pretty-ugly and old-young and big-small, dark-light. That's how
dialectical Liv was and she was also a materialist. It was me who had
superstructures and never learned to keep my mouth shut. That is why
I sharpen my mouth as a pencil and whistle: The birds know what the
birds know! Look here, Georg. This is what you have written today:
Stop it, Georg!

--
phatic@xxxxxxxxxx
http://phatic.blogspot.com