[lit-ideas] Concerning the struggle to abolish first names (4)

  • From: "phatic" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:11:05 +0200

Georg Johannesen:
CONCERNING THE STRUGGLE TO ABOLISH FIRST NAMES
_A contribution to the word class struggle as a Norwegian love story_

The boy was called Ib or Bo. Those were the two shortest names in the
entire Norwegian area. I think it was Ib, and not Bo, because B and b
is the same both in capital B and miniscule b, while o in Bo is more
vocal than I in Ib, since I is close to the consonant J, that is Jey.
I thought of J (Jey) as a first name, that is J (Jey) Johannesen for
a while. But it ended up with Ib Jansen with Jansen as a
simplification of Johannesen. I think.

Thus our marriage continued with myself on a perennial retreat. She
was the strongest, despite my stubbornness. She had the upper hand as
a unique, singular individual in a struggle with me, who only
represented the masses in their generality. Because I was on
humanity's side. But did that matter? She sided with herself. I lost.
Humanity didn't help me.

I remember that we had a daughter, as well. But I can't remember what
her name was, because a loved child has many names, and I gave her
pet names and nicknames in such a number that she became quite
anonymous in her own way.

I mostly called her Potipeia or rather Kotipeia after the chorus of a
drinking song. But I also called her Little-Wise, Little-Dumb, the
older or younger Edda, Kid, My Kid, Our Kid, Little-Foot, Diaper and
Dancingout. She preferred calling herself Elisa-Elisabeth-Goldstar-
Rosalind, but mostly she would just say she was thirsty, wet, hungry,
alone, and since she was an Aquarius, fishes, wolf, horse, me, her
mother, lady, Arne, boat, aunt Per and Ellen, aunt Kate, her
girlfriends, train, and so on.

For a while it appeared as if she was on my side.

I claimed I was the ceiling, that I was drinking invisible coffee
from a building block and that I was flying high up in the air as a
doctorplane. At the child accepted that -- for a while!

One afternoon we had chased the polar bears out in the hallway.  Then
I said:

-- Call me Leif.

But already at the age of three she had become so indoctrinated that
she laughed out loud. She perceived it as if I was joking. She called
me "daddy". My wife was called "mommy". I made her say "moddy" and
"dammy". But neither my daughter nor my wife accepted equality
between the sexes. No, father is pretty and mother is strong. They
stuck to that, both of them. They won. I am still pretty. But she was
strong.

Liv is dead or at least gone. We are divorced.

I will never again hear her pretty voice saying:

-- Stop it, Georg!

Her friends and family says I made her life a misery because she kept
finding reasons to reveal my name in private. I'm not stronger than
that. I long to hear her say:

-- Look here, Georg.

The worst part is to remember how I sometimes conquered her
individualist tendencies and how she some nights would forget my
accursed first name:

-- Oh, Georg, oh, Georg, oh, you, oh, you...

And finally I managed to get her where I wanted. She moaned and
moaned that final letter of the alphabet:

-- =C5, =E5, =E5, =E5, =E5, =E5, =E5!

Then I wasn't alone.

_Note:_

Communism is, as will emerge from my marriage history, purely a male
cause. I think I know why. One male can produce enough sperm in a
short period of time to reproduce four billion people as himself. Men
acquire a collective attitude which stems from the relations of
production in the testicles. Whereas a woman lays 12 eggs per year.
During their sexually mature life, she is producing no more than a
few hundred eggs in total. Women name their eggs. It's as simple as
that. I think.

--
phatic@xxxxxxxxxx
http://phatic.blogspot.com