[lit-ideas] Concerning the struggle to abolish first names (2)

  • From: "phatic" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:54:31 +0200

GeorgJohannesen:
CONCERNINGTHE STRUGGLE TO ABOLISH FIRST NAMES
_A contribution to the word class struggle as a Norwegian love story_

2. Before
Before I used to say:

- Call me Johannesen.

If I met new people, I would mumble:

- J-o-a-s-n.

People thought I said Johannesen, Johansen, Hansen, Johnsen, Jensen
and so on.

I was often misheard, but always misunderstood. When I mumbled my
last name, people thought I was modest and socially insecure. People
didn't understand how audacious I was. I was probably socially
insecure, but in my own way. I'll always manage, I thought. But what
about them? I trusted me, but not them, to put it simply.

I knew who I was. I didn't want to say what my name was, because then
they would have a hold on me. I wasn't for sale. I wasn't corrupt.
And I knew that people continued to be na=EFve enough to say their name
aloud, memorize it and remember what I, for instance, was called.

_Note:_
For a while, I thought of calling myself "I", as a first name, and
"We" as last name. Then I would introduce myself thus, loudly and
clearly:

ITISIWEGOODDAYYOUYOU.

My friends found it moderately funny. But I didn't get a bank loan.

--
phatic@xxxxxxxxxx
http://phatic.blogspot.com