[lit-ideas] Conan, The Barbarian (Was: Ossian

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:25:12 EDT

Thanks to R. Paul for his comments.
>A barbarian was originally simply a non-Greek, so-called  because >of his
unintelligible speech: barbarbarbar...and so  on. >'Barbarian' was originally
neutral

I would be cautious  there. Do you think it can possibly be (in Greek at
least) a neutral  value-oriented expression?

(I'm  using the turn of phrase, "value-oriented" in the precise use of Grice,
in  "Reply to Richards").

I  should consult the Liddell-Scott for early recorded uses of 'barbaros'.

The  typical Gricean scenario I can think of (for this Grecian context) would
 be:

1.  Communication between human beings is a valuable thing.
2.  These people before me say, 'barbarbarbar"
3.  That is, to me, unintelligible.
4.  And that in the strong _sense_ that it is not possible (conceivable) that
I will  understand him (let's singularize the 'barbarian', and call him, to
please  Ritchie, "Conan".
3.  Yet, I'm calling him "Gobbledee-Gook" in a totally neutral fashion.

When was it, Ritchie, that "barbarian" became a _positively_  value-oriented
term in the Highlands? In the time of Ossian?

Cheers,

JL