[lit-ideas] Re: Comparative religion

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:06:07 EST

In a message dated 3/9/2005 2:30:49 PM Central Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>  This doesn't really seem much different from "Catholics don't think
>  Protestants are Christian".....it's the exclusionary thing again,  still.

That's not correct. The Catholic Church accepts Protestants as a  Christian
religion.

Hi,
Better to say that *some* Catholics accept Protestants as Christians and
others do not.

My nephew was in tears once at an Easter egg hunt at a Methodist church
(where my brother and his family attend) since the annual egg hunt was
traditionally on the grounds of the Governor's mansion--but it was  raining.
They had
to quickly move it indoors to the church and while many  people were hiding
eggs, there were others singing cutesy Christian tunes (you  know, the Sunday
school type) with the kids.  During one of the songs, my  nephew became
hysterical (he had gotten very quiet as he had entered the church)  and later
we found
out that he has been taught that no one but Catholics were to  go to
heaven--and he realized, at that point, that his cousins, aunts/uncles  were
not going
to go to heaven since they were not Catholic...   It  was pretty awful,
actually.  He has been going to a private Catholic  school, living in what I
call a
very conservative Catholic subculture (since  there is a large Catholic
community in their city, the main sports activities  they are in are all run by
the
Catholics, etc.  I don't know that, outside  of our family, he would have ever
comprehended what he was being taught.

That particular world of Catholicism traipsed over to the KC area to tell
people in Catholic churches here how to vote in the presidental  election.
The
Catholic Family Life Center director of the KC area  and I have had many a
talk about the differences between that Catholic world and  the Catholic world
that exists (primarily) here...

The nice thing about Mormonism is that you can baptize the whole family
(with or without their permission--and with or without them being alive) and
they
will get to go to heaven with you.   Whew.  What a relief  that would be,
hey?  Someone was pretty compassionate yet realistic when  that tenant of faith
was set in place...or just liked a party...

On the other hand, don't ever tell the formerly-known-as-RLDS that they are
Mormon or LDS.  They split over whether or not the line followed Brigham
Young (who, they are quick to point out, brought such things as polygamy into
their world) or the line of Joseph Smith.  (if you come to Missouri, you  can
meet the people at the hq of each of them...)

Beliefnet.org has a great site on Mormonism which sets out the differences
between traditional Christianity and the LDS church.

One of the main concepts that is important, I think, is to look at how
people define things like son of God/Son of God/etc.   The words may  be the
same,
but the definitions completely different...

Thinking many people have a God who is too small,
Marlena in Missouri