[lit-ideas] Comparative definitions of the poor

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:40:57 -0700

In the Wikipedia article on poverty - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty -
we learn that The World <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bank_Group>
Bank defines extreme <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_poverty>  poverty
as living on less than US$ (PPP
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity> ) 1 per day, and
moderate poverty as less than $2 a day. It has been estimated that in 2001,
1.1 billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion
lived on less than $2 a day. The proportion of the developing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_world>  world's population living
in extreme economic poverty has fallen from 28 percent in 1990 to 21 percent
in 2001.

The U.S. on the other hand figures out what a nutritious diet would cost and
multiplies that number by three figuring food costs as 1/3 of income.  Thus

2003 HHS Poverty Guidelines

Size of
Family Unit

48 Contiguous
States and D.C.

Alaska

Hawaii

1

$ 8,980

$11,210

$10,330

2

12,120

15,140

13,940

3

15,260

19,070

17,550

4

18,400

23,000

21,160

5

21,540

26,930

24,770

6

24,680

30,860

28,380

7

27,820

34,790

31,990

8

30,960

38,720

35,600

For each additional
person, add

 3,140

 3,930

 3,610

SOURCE:  Federal Register, Vol. 68, No. 26, February 7, 2003, pp. 6456-6458.

So if we were told that more Americans fell below the poverty level between
1990 and 2001 whereas in the third world those in extreme poverty dropped
from 28% to 21% it might sound as though the U.S. is worse off than the
third world countries.  But the U.S. and the World Bank use different
standards.  The World Bank poverty level is $365 per year.  The American
poverty level is $8,980 per year.

Europe uses a different standard still, but I couldn't get good information
on it.  Their standard is relative rather than absolute.  You are getting
poorer if the rich are getting richer - or something like that.

Lawrence