[lit-ideas] Communication Habits

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Anthro-L List" <ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:15:58 +0900

The following are my notes on a special section in Senden Kaigi (September
2008)  in which cell phone novels appear as one example of a broader trend
in the communication habits of Japanese youth. I wonder if this phenomenon
occurs in other parts of the world, and how people here react to the efforts
to explain it presented in this source.

p. 24-51 特集 会話力のある言葉 "Language with Dialogue Powerr"

> 寄り添えるのは、会話力のある言葉 "Dialogoue power brings people together."
>

> Not one-way presentation, but words that emerge in dialogue and are able to
> strong involvement (関心) and empathy (共感). This special reports on
> interviews with with experts and hit contents creators in an attempt to
> understand the power of dialogue.
>

> 稲増龍夫 (Tatsuo Inamasu, Hosei University Professor of Sociology)
>
> 川上善郎 (Yoshiro Kawakami, Seijo University Professor of Literature)
>
> 伊東寿朗 (Toshiaki Ito, Publishing Producer)
>
> 鷲尾和彦 (Kazuhiko Washio, Hakuhodo DY Partners Media Environment Institute)
>
> 島田紳助 (Shinsuke Shimada, popular comedian and MC)
>

> Cell phone novels (携帯小説) top best seller lists in Japan. No. 1 恋空
> 切ナイ恋ものがたり and No. 2 赤い糸 broke the million books sold market within one
> month after release. Five of the best selling books of 2007 were cell phone
> novels. In a country where young people not reading has become an obsession,
> this new literary form seems to have something going for it.
>

> Toshiaki Ito suggests that what cell phone novels describe is the real
> world with which teens are familiar. The language they use is everyday, not
> literary. Writer and reader angles on the world are very close. Thus,
> readers find it easy to empathize with what the writers are saying.
>

> Ito should know what he is talking about. He is involved in the cell phone
> novel portal site 魔法の図書館(Magic Library), and the publication of cell phone
> novels whose total sales have topped five million. He is also the author of
> ケータイ小説革命論
> (Cell phone novel revolution).
>

> Ito says that cell phone novels differ from conventional novels, which are
> written and then published in a form of one-way communication from author to
> reader. In contrast, cell phone novel sites are equipped with bulletin
> boards, where readers can communicate with the author while the work is
> still being written.
>

> Most comments, however, are thanks to the author for writing the novel.
> Cell phone novels are frequently described as two-way communication, but
> reader thanks do more to encourage the authors to keep writing than to
> change the story. Occasionally there are critical comments, but these are
> rapidly countered by the supporters of the work. Sometimes the battle
> becomes so fierce that authors are upset or, unable to bear criticism, give
> up mid-way. Then, however, they receive messages urging them to come back
> and continue. This kind of encouragement becomes motivation for the authors.
> Ito says that, "If an ordinary novel is like a CD, cell phone novels are
> like live performances, where the performer is stimulated by the audience
> response.
>

> *Like modern personalities, [the authors of ]cell phone novels expand [the
> reach of] their readers' empathy.*
>

> Hakuhodo DY Media Partners Kazuhiko Washio, author of 共感ブランディング (Empathy
> Branding) argues from another perspective that cell phone novels succeed
> [...]
John
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN