[lit-ideas] Re: Commencement

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:47:58 -0400

Robert quotes:

"We really thought we were going to build a world of peace and love and justice and harmony . . . and our days were filled with meaning," he said.

That period, Ansary said, seemed to have the potential to define not only his life but also the direction of modern society.

"But the years passed and the juggernaut of industrial modernity hurtled on," he said, and it was the counterculture that crumbled and "we who scattered to the many winds, to become sales executives and lawyers and math professors and carpenters' wives."

This sentiment is quote common, I think, and mirrors my own experience. I wonder how many people on the List have noticed and felt the same thing?

However, instead of feeling undermined by "the juggernaut of industrial modernity," I would finger increasing isolated self-concern, the lack of civic responsibility, the sense of isolation, the corporate propaganda of the Reagan years and beyond as crucial sources of the change.

Hence my rant about "needs and wants" and the "inner child." The turn inward, if anything, hastened the dissolution of the counterculture into the Yuppie status quo. Selfish hippies getting stoned and listening to Jerry Garcia aren't going to change the world--they just get smug and buy stuff they don't need.