[lit-ideas] "Come back to death" (Was: Plato and Austin)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:20:09 EDT

Eric quotes from M. Chase,

>>by what rights does *anybody* prescribe to us what reality is?
_____

and writes:

"Prescribed attitudes about reality are often hidden in our language
choices,
even when we are advancing a nondirective position.
For example,  as Lakoff points out, we assert that TIME IS SOMETHING MOVING
TOWARD US when  we make statements like:
Five O'clock is approaching.
Thursday passed  without a bombing.
Or we imply that FORM IS MOTION when we use expression  like:
The Tower in Pisa leans.
The road bends.
Our conceptual  metaphors lead us to prescribe notions of reality, by right
of
being  speakers of a language. Granted, such a prescription is not as
specific
as  saying Schroedinger's Cat is or isn't dead--but it is more  pervasive."

----- Exactly. This incidentally has a bearing on something else M. Chase
said (in another thread):

>But this implies there is a converse
>path as well, this time  from being-dead to being-alive; it's called
>"coming back to life" (*to  anabioskesthai*, 72a).

----

I was thinking. Plato's argument is a bit Gricean or Austinian at this
stage. As if: if there is an expression in the lingo (say "anabioskesthai",
that
means "revive") then there _is_ revive.

We might just as well say that if people use 'phlogiston', there  is.

The odd thing is that this is a fallacy. And the _interesting_ thing  (which
Plato should have noted) is that it's only an artificial expression to  speak
of "coming back to death" -- which, if his argument made sense, would be  the
expression to expect to prove the 'conceptual dependence' and a forteriori
the immortality of the soul.

Cheers,

JL