[lit-ideas] Re: Coloured TV

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:25:16 -0700

Oops -- sorry I misread your implicature. I do see you did say your television was 'black' not 'black and white'. In France, they say 'white and black' triggering a different implicature ('noire et blanche')

I'm not sure what triggers what. 'Blanc de noir' as applied to a wine means that it is a white wine made from 'black' grapes. The French expression for black-and-white TV is 'téléviseur noir et blanc,' although demotic French may have it different. (I take it you were referring to TV when you said 'In France they say "white and black."'How their saying this implicates 'noir et blanche,' is somewhat mysterious.

Robert Paul

Mutton College
Quebec