[lit-ideas] Re: Colonial Modern Art and Propaganda

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 03:13:17 -0500

Here's a handful of steaming Bhabha.

Referring to the way formerly colonized populations adapt, accept, and reject aspects of the colonizing culture -- even passing the hybrid melange to yet other cultures -- the enormous windbag describes:

"part-objects of a metonymy of colonial desire, end up emerging as inappropriate colonial subjects...[who], by now producing a partial vision of the colonizer's presence, de-stabilize the colonial subjectivity, unsettle its authoritative centrality, and corrupt its discursive purity." (p. 88)

That kind of nonsense is so fashionable, it's hard to avoid. I enter the liminality of cultural ambivalence ordering a pizza and see no need to privilege the European colonizers.

Forgive the tone of my post, John. I sometimes forget that you are a real anthropologist with real human interests, and not a brain-in-a-vat theorist masking an ideology of resentment behind Lacanian or Foucaultian ink stains.

Eric

_____
Bhabha, Homi. Location of Culture. London: Routledge, 1995.