[lit-ideas] Re: Clutching at straws

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:15:20 -0700

Thomas Friedman's op-ed piece today is unusually grim, "This is code red," a
"possible global financial contagion triggered by European banks choking..."  I
began to wonder whether contagion can be triggered, and how choking acts as a
trigger, but then I was distracted by the news that an animal activist group
has claimed responsibility for setting fire to a store that sold fur...and
fireworks, the "Rocky Mountain Fireworks and Fur Company."  It's in Boise, ID.

This criminal act, if criminal act it was, would be beyond the jurisdiction of
Oregon's newest judge, Janelle F. Wipper who, in her spare time, may or may not
be a "smocker."  Maryou McEachron Lord's obit today describes an "exceptional
seamstress, knitter, smocker, weaver, bridge player and bookworm."  Does anyone
here know what a "smocker" is?  Or whether obits will soon accommodate
"exceptional Kindleworms"?  Or where I can get a wheelbarrow for my soon-to-be
worthless money?

David Ritchie,
Portland,