[lit-ideas] Climb the highest mountain, please.

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 22:34:22 -0500

ScienceDaily (Sep. 24, 2010) —

"Scientists have known for decades that time passes faster at higher
elevations -- a curious aspect of Einstein's theories of relativity that
previously has been measured by comparing clocks on the earth's surface and
a high-flying rocket.
 ------------------------------

Now, physicists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
have measured this effect at a more down-to-earth scale of 33 centimeters,
or about 1 foot, demonstrating, for instance, that you age faster when you
stand a couple of steps higher on a staircase.

Described in the Sept. 24 issue of *Science*, the difference is much too
small for humans to perceive directly -- adding up to approximately 90
billionths of a second over a 79-year lifetime.

Similarly, the NIST researchers observed another aspect of relativity --
that time passes more slowly when you move faster -- at speeds comparable to
a car travelling about 20 miles per hour, a more comprehensible scale than
previous measurements made using jet aircraft."

          *************
******************                  *********************
******************           *********

 I had heard most of my life that short men lived longer than tall men, the
same is true of dogs, I believe, yappers live longer.  But I always thought
it was just a kindness passed on by mothers, those who had loved us, borne
us in their arms and their hearts, and but for whom the race of the world
would have trampled us under foot, a squashed boneless snail.  They, our
mothers, who had loved our weak watery blood drained from their own.who knew
we shorties would forever be disrespected.  But NO!  WE WIN -- WE  WEE
PEOPLE -- WE WIN!!! and here is scientific proof.  Ach, I feel sorry for
those six foot bastards, dying faster than me by every micron of height.
Die, you bastards, die!  I also amble, not walk.  Never ever do I run.
Takes me ten minutes to cross a street.

Mike
Geary
with apologies to Jim Joyce