[lit-ideas] Re: Climate -- another stupid question

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:13:28 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sep 5, 2004 11:58 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Climate -- another stupid question

Does anyone understand how air can be dryer closer to the coast?  I am in the
smack dab middle of the country and it is like breathing through a wet
blanket.  You go to Washington right on the edge of the ocean spraying water
into
the air and behold, the air is dry!  It is conter-intuitive, to say the least.
(I should have payed more attention in Science.)

A.A. I don't know how the dynamics of humidity work, but I think good old
coincidence may have played a part in your experience.  Otherwise, Florida,
surrounded by water, should be dry.  Instead, it's miserable.  I knew someone
once, also from New York State, who was convinced that New York's mountainous
areas are drier than the lower elevations, exactly on the opposite of your
theory.  He insisted that the lower you go, the closer to the water, therefore
the more humidity.  Death Valley, of course, is among the driest places on
earth, and it's at or below sea level.  Likewise east coast skiing is not the
dry powder of the west.

Andy Amago

Julie Krueger
always wondering about something silly