[lit-ideas] Civilian casualties in Iraq

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:46:07 -0800

Here is a database that lists all the civilian deaths "caused by coalition
occupation."  Blaming the US for the total is not justified in my view
because included are insurgent-caused killings and breakdowns in civil
order. However, there is enough info in the database to get a fairly good
number of deaths actually caused by the coalition if one has a lot of time
on his or her hands.  Their grand total is between 28,293 & 31,900 as of
2006.  http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

I did finally find the Lancet site that lists higher numbers, but they seem
to be unsupported guesses.  Even though iraqbodycount.org is obviously
opposed to the invasion and blames the coalition for all casualties, they
seem to have taken a scientific approach toward the accumulating of data.

Lawrence