[lit-ideas] Cindy and Pelosi

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:15:58 +0100

Award winner Cindy Sheehan relates her fleeting conversation with Walter
Mondale before getting back to Pelosi and the two-party monopoly ...

QUOTE

I was flying back to the states from Kristiansand, Norway, after receiving an
award and was flying on the leg from Oslo to London. The flight's purser
pointed out one of my "countrymen" sitting in 2D. I had already been recognized
on the flight by the crew because I had won the award and been on Norwegian TV.
The purser pointed to seat 2D and told me that it was Walter Mondale.

I looked and did a double take, because he did not look so much like Mondale
from about 10 feet away. I was eventually convinced that it was Walter Mondale
(Former Senator from Minnesota; Jimmy Carter's VP, Democratic presidential
Candidate in 1984 and Ambassador to Japan during the Clinton administration).
So being the shrinking violet that I am, I immediately went to introduce myself.

After we established who I was and that he supported "Nancy" even though I was
a "wonderful person," he looked at me and said: "Boy wasn't the FISA thing
awful?" I said, "Yes, it's awful and my opponent supported it." He returned
with: "Oh, I don't think she was really for it." My last question went
unanswered: "Well if she was against it, why would she allow it to go to a
vote, as Speaker, and then vote for it, as a member?" Note: On many
controversial votes, Pelosi often does not vote, on the FISA Act she voted the
wrong way.

Our chat was then over because he said: "Nice to meet you, good luck with
everything," and looked back down at the paperwork he was reading. I had been
dismissed for asking a question that has no reasonable answer. Nancy allowed
the Act to come to a vote and voted for it, against the wishes of our liberal
district, because SHE WAS FOR RETROACTIVE IMMUNITY. Not only are telecoms some
of Pelosi's biggest donors, she has been in on the illegal wiretapping crimes
from the beginning. As a member of the Democratic minority leaderhip's "Gang of
Four" with Jane Harman (D-CA), Steny Hoyer, (D-MD), Sen. Jay Rockefeller
(D-WV), not only was the gang briefed on Bush's FISA felonies, they were
alsobriefed on torture. There was and is a rightful outcry on the FISA abuses
(if the crimes weren't retroactively legalized, the penalites for breaking FISA
laws are steep), but to me,  torture is a crime against humanity and, in my
opinion, that issue, and lying to a nation about going to war and funding war,
are the ones on which the Gang of Four and the Bush Crime Mob should be held
accountable.

Ever wonder why "impeachment" has always been inexplicably "off" of Pelosi's
table?" Ever wonder why the most criminal and corrupt administration, in this
country's long and checkered history that is liberally peppered with corruption
and violence, is going to walk away and be allowed to live the rest of their
lives in relative comfort and ease? Ever wonder why Pelosi's Congress has an
approval rating under double digits? It's because the twin parties of
corruption are the "Lawmakers" and the "Lawbreakers." How can Mondale credibly
say that Pelosi did not "support" the legislation when she voted "Yea?" Did he
mean that it is common for one to sell out his/her constituents and his/her
principles when money and crime and punishment are involved?

Walter Mondale (a man whom I voted for three times) has been a political
insider for generations and would not even broach the subject of accountability
with me. Ever wonder why the system was allowed to decay so far that it appears
that only a miracle can save it now from total socio-economic destruction?

This nation is in dire straits partially because of blind allegiance to a
two-party monopoly (I used to say "duopoly," but what's the use?) that only
exists to perpetuate itself and the unscrupulous system that supports it. That
system built of popsicle sticks and set on a shaky foundation will soon go the
way of all Empires unless our "leadership" becomes more responsive to the
people's needs and less concerned with their bank accounts and personal power
trips.

"Change" will not come from inside the monopoly. How much more proof do we need?

UNQUOTE