[lit-ideas] Re: Christmas Trees

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:27:41 -0800

May I recommend a good history of Christmas in America? Stephen Nissenbaum, "The Battle for Christmas." Excellent on how the very kind of people who are now crusading for Christmas' holiness were the strongest early naysayers.

My brilliant idea today, as I drove past lines of cars backed up at the mall exit on the 217 freeway, was that we should do Christmas like they do potluck suppers--last name letters a-m get one date on which to celebrate, last name letters m-z get another date. Thus you spread the purchasing season, some people get two Christmases, and there is all round less frenzy.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon