[lit-ideas] Re: Chomsky on Predators

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:10:49 +0000

Anyone who has been reading my notes would understand why I posted Steyn -- or
I would think they ought to.  I've described this particular interest often
enough:  Are the Radicals dangerous like Huntington suggests or not so
dangerous like Fukuyama suggests?  Do we need to worry about them indefinitely
(Huntington) or will they slowly become incorporated into the End-Of-History
Liberal-Democratic System (Fukuyama)?  Kepel, Roy and Barnett add meat to
Fukuyama's thesis.  Bawer, Berlinski and Fallaci add meat to Huntington's
thesis.  And now I am reading Steyn who is weighing in on the side of
Huntington.

I assumed when Omar posted his reference on Chomsky without comment that he
agreed with it, but I seem to recall making such an assumption about one of his
notes in the past only to learn that he posted it for some entirely different
reason.  But note that my concern wasn't that Omar "justify" why he posted it,
but the actual word I used "explain."  Why did he post it?  a) because he
agreed with it.  b) because it bore on some previous subject.  c) because he
didn't agree with it.  d) none of the above.  If he never has to relate himself
to a posting in some way, then how are his postings different from SPAM?

Lawrence