[lit-ideas] China, India

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:24:28 -0800 (PST)

I just want to say that this is *today's* situation with China.  It doesn't
necessarily mean it will be tomorrow's.  I think George Soros is completely
right when he says that China will implode, he gives the number ten years,
mostly from the environment.  They are unsustainable.  90% of their arable land
is desertified, they have terrible water troubles, and they *must* keep growth
going because tens of millions of people are streaming in each year from the
countryside such that there would be massive unrest if they didn't keep
throwing up cities.  They're slated to build something like 50+ airports and
double their highways like this year or in a real short space of time, i.e.,
massive infusions into their infrastructure, something like 750 billion
dollars.  Building highways means they're not paying attention to the depleting
oil situation, or if they are, they're not taking it into account in their
planning.  They need to be building rail, but they want to emulate the
 Americans.  As far as them setting us up for financial control, it probably
most likely just happened, one of those things that spiraled out of control,
like anyone getting too comfortable with borrowing.  No one forced us to borrow
from them.

  What we, in my opinion, need to do is rescind the law that mandates corn for
ethanol (industry writes its own legislation now) and go back to growing food.
That is our strength, a truly powerful position to be in, supplying the world
with food.  It's just so unglamorous in a world that up to now has been awash
with food, but it's been awash with food because we've been growing food.
India is going the same way as China.  They're building these little cars which
says they're going the unsustainable car route too, plus they're going to have
a major water problem too in the not too distant future.

  Our problem has been described as the failure of success.  We've been sea to
shining sea full of resources and it went to our heads.  It can be changed.
Unfortunately, we want to wish ourselves into the status quo, made possible by
an uninformed citizenry; we can't change what we don't know about.  At any
rate, China and India are *today* the 500 pound if not 800 pound gorillas.
Tomorrow they may be singing a different tune.