[lit-ideas] Chill and the Donations

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 10:05:10 -0700

For a course titled, "The Not-So-Boring Victorians," I have been looking at art. I came across Briton Riviere whose brother in law, Sydney Thompson, is described in the Wikipedia piece as "the poet and breeder of deerhounds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briton_Rivière
They don't write job titles like that any more.

Since I wanted to get my facts straight, I looked in our newspaper's Classifieds under "P." They don't write many job titles at all any more. The "Employment general" section is down to a little over half a column. On the bright side, there is an opening for a "Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator 1" in Walport, but "prescreening" is required. For anyone who does windows, "image_makers" want a window cleaning "tech," experience preferred but not required. You can practice at my house.

The President of the U of O is a Lariviere. He's currently warning that there will be a "chill on donations" if the State Board of Higher Education do not approve a plan to construct an 80,000-square- foot operation center for the Ducks, which in this instance are a football team. Phil Knight is offering funding. On the classical music station as I drive around town, I keep hearing about the Knight Cancer Center and think, stupidly, "Night Cancer"?

President Obama picked General Clapper to take charge of America's intelligence. Elon Musk's private rocket, "Dragon" was a success, pushing forward the president's plan for the privatization of space travel. Locally, Mildred Orpha Timmerman and Clinton Gibler both died. Gibler's "celebration of life" will be held in Gresham; Timmerman's "cryptside service" will be in "Skyline Memorial Gardens and Funeral Home."

Quite Victorian, the idea of a crypt in a garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfmT0dCXPQ

"A state-of-the-art [dead person] catapault"!

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon