[lit-ideas] Re: Chess

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:28:37 -0230

Dear madam,

I and my associates employ what I believe you would refer to as the "relative"
notation system, since the number in the move refers to the rank (horizontal
row) counting from the mover's side of the board. The move is hence, "relative"
to the mover.

I illustrate: "P-Q4" is a move in which my queen pawn moves two squares forward
to occupy the fourth rank from the perspective of me as the mover. From your
perspective, however, counting ranks from your end of the board, my pawn is at
the fifth rank. This is known as the "postmodernist" notation.

In the "absolute" notation, each square is designated with a letter and a number
which retains its identification regardless of who makes the move. This is
known as the "modernist" notation.

If these are indeed the meanings of the terms, then you have my vote for your
poll. (Not too sure how I ended up as a pomoist in this ....)

Vladimir Okshevsky
Director,
Pawns May Be Queens Enterprises
Portland, Iceland