[lit-ideas] Re: Cheese Cake

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:19:08 -0500

> In the class that I'm taking on discourse analysis we are, so far,
discussing
> conversational devices:  word choice and sentence structure as applied to
> various situational variables, pragmatics, the influence of language on
speech
> and vice versa, the functions of various gambits, pretexts, etc.

Is profanity and "filthy-mouth" a conversational device or just a character
flaw?  When people look at me aghast, I tell them I suffer from Tourette
Syndrome.  I see pity in their eyes, but they still move away.  This country
is driving on Empty sympathy-wise, I tell you.  Also, please tell me how to
get a gambit to function?  I'd like to function one.  I've tried pretexting
gambits, but it's never worked.  Maybe I'm not structuring my sentences
right.  I think I need an extreme make-over.  Maybe an extra extreme
make-over.  Do you do that?  Do you think some attractive pragmatics might
help?  Please be aware that I'm highly leery of situational variables.
Liberalism is frowned on in this part of the country.  Do you have any
religious vocabulary that I could semioticize myself with?  I'm not really
interested in communicating, you understand, but it's very important that I
be perceived as a Communicator.  Like Reagan, you know.  Should I hire an
astrologist?  Or perhaps a PR firm.  Do you do that?

Mike Geary
caught in the spin cycle of life
in Memphis