[lit-ideas] Re: Censorship Battle Over Frenchman's Face [was War Is War Is War]

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 10:13:11 +0100 (BST)

Among the many arguments against there being a need for 'defining terms' [as
opposed to, say, indicating in which of many possible senses we are using
words, which may often be helpful] some are logical: either (1) the definition
uses undefined terms, so the problem of definition is merely shifted to other
undefined terms (and if these undefined terms are adequate, why not the initial
ones?; they can really only be deemed adequate by some kind of 'dogma'); or (2)
the definition uses terms that are to be defined by other undefined terms,
leading to infinite regress; or (3) we escape these options by defining the
terms of definition in terms of the term to be defined, leading to circularity.

So there is a definitional 'trilemma' [dogmatism, infinite regress,
circularity] that parallels Fries' 'trilemma' in the theory of knowledge.

Popper noted this of course, as well as explaining how the misconceived search
for exactness in meaning parallels the vain search for certainty as regards
truth.

Definitions do not play the role in science that they often play elsewhere and
this is among the main reasons for scientific advance against the obscurantism
and scholasticism that have plagued other fields of thought..

He might find Geach goes just a little too far in his language, but the excess
may be justified to goad the unreflective: for many intelligent people (or
otherwise intelligent people) believe in the value and even necessity of
'defining terms'; and many books, and even real-life discussions, get bogged
down in time-wasting definitional preliminaries of this sort.