[lit-ideas] Re: Censorship

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:45:57 -0500

Depends on how you define rule, doesn't it? Every definition of 'rule' I've read suggests that a rule can be broken, or violated. But every substance that is boilable will always boil at a specific temperature and pressure everytime, no joking around, no non-violent resistance, no insurgency. So boiling isn't a rule, it's an inexorable and ineluctible characateristic of a substance. But I think we all know what Phil meant. I would argue against the proposition that the First Law of Thermodynamics is a rule. I'd say it was a description of a process. I'd say a rule is a "thou shalt not."

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>