[lit-ideas] Re: Censorship

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:55:26 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"Boiling point is not a rule. It is a measured standardized ..."

In other words, a rule.

Eric concludes:

"On the other hand, if you are saying the equivalent of 'nothing
excludes the possibility that tomorrow the sun will not rise' (Hume?)
then I can't really argue with that."

The great thing about the scientific method is that it allows for, and
actively encourages, the possibility of new facts altering established
beliefs.  I am not even an amateur in these matters but my impression is
that Einstein's greatness lies in his recognizing anomalous facts and
coming up with a theory that accounted for them.  The claim 'nothing
excludes the possibility that tomorrow the sun will not rise' is not
necessarily a skeptical one but can function as a reminder that the
empirical business of collecting facts is not, and never can be,
finished.  While the rule regarding the boiling point of water has a
great many facts to support it, the rule itself is not, and never could
be, a fact.  When rules become facts is the day when scientific inquiry
comes to an end.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON