[lit-ideas] Re: Censorship

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:15:21 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"Can we have "belief" about a set of facts? Can we hold beliefs only
about the interpretation of facts?"

We don't usually associate beliefs with facts.  If one is dealing with
facts, one is in the realm of knowledge.  I am not quite sure what Eric
means by 'interpretation of facts'.  It would be a fact that at a
certain point in time and space, some water was measured to have boiled
at 100 degrees Celsius.  The rule that under normal conditions at sea
level water boils at 100 degrees Celsius is, however, not a fact.  It
certainly follows from the facts but is not itself a fact.  Nothing
would exclude the possibility that tomorrow, under the same conditions,
water in the southern hemisphere is found to boil at a slightly lower
temperature.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON