[lit-ideas] Celaniana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:48:47 -0400

My last post today!

Celan was born Antschel in Cernăuți and he (Antschel) adopted the
pseudonym "Paul Celan" for a simple reason (if you know Romanian that is:
"Celan",
in proper Romanian, is pronounced /chelàn/. So what Antschel wittily did is
transpose the two syllables of his surname Antschel. Geary specifies the
derivation:

i. antschel.
ii. an-tchel
iii. transpose
iv. tschel-an
v. celan

(Geary adds: "I tried to do it with "Geary" [he means his surname] but it
didn't _really_ work.").

In a message dated 6/27/2015 10:42:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes: in "Re: Paul Celan, Beacon-gatherer
(Bakensammler)"

"I'm lost as to what "in flying wordbull" means or connotes. Help."

By 'lost', Geary is being metaphoric ("People misuse 'lose' a lot: "I lost
the boat", when what they mean is that they "missed" it." -- He is
referring to the Mississippi boat).

On 6/26/15, Richard Henninge <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul Celan's
BAKEN-
sammler, nächtlings,
die Hucke voll,
am Fingerende den Leitstrahl,
für ihn, den einen an-
fliegenden
Wortstier.
Baken-
meister.
BEACON-
gatherer, nightlong,
his back bowed full,
at his fingertip the guidebeam,
for him, the one in-
flying
wordbull.
Beacon-
master.
Richard Henninge, trans.

Back to Geary:

"I'm lost as to what "in flying wordbull" means or connotes. Help."

Mill should help. He made an infamous distinction (for referentialists --
vide Popper) between connotation and denotation. He said (that's Mill) that
"London" does not connote: just denote ("System of Logic"). "Means" is an
altogether different territory. According to McEvoy's theory, one should ask
what Celan meant back in the day. Note that it seems to be

i. in-
flying
wordbull

For Celan, how you *present* words affect their Griceian meaning.
"in-flying wordbull" is a different animal ("Not a bull," Geary thinks).

Or perhaps a bull.

Cheers,

Speranza