[lit-ideas] Re: Causality theory of (not)knowing

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:02:17 +0100

Omar's post entirely fails to show that legal arguments are not about
matters of substance, and it fails to show they rest *merely* on verbal
definitions, and it fails to show that they rest on verbal definitions at
all - or anymore than scientific arguments do...

*On the first two counts, Omar's post fails to show these things perhaps,
in part, because those claims - or charges - were not made by Omar in the
first place. As to to the third count, I think it has been shown that there
is a strong relation between legal arguments and verbal definitions.
Perhaps to whether that relation is stronger than the relation exhibited in
physics, it is something that I sort of believe but, I acknowledge that I
haven't decisively shown it, so perhaps we will return to it.

*Insofar as legal arguments are about matters of substance, they are not
purely based on mere verbal definitions, and insofar as they are based on
mere verbal definitions they are not about matters of substance. *

*That would be definitionally true but it does not tell us anything
substantive about legal arguments. *

O.K.