[lit-ideas] Re: Causality theory of (not)knowing

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:16:00 +0100

 Well, for one thing, the laws of physics can be - and primarily are -
expressed by mathematical formulae. E=mc2 can be rephrased in English
language roughly as stating that: "the universal proportionality factor
between equivalent amounts of energy and mass is equal to the speed of light
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light>squared" but such a paraphrase is used
for pedagogical purposes and the like and it is not what the physician
operates with professionally. Insofar as I am aware, I don't think that
physicists typically argue, or need to argue, about the meaning of "E" or
of "c2."

In contrast, the laws of human societies are expressed verbally, and based
on verbal definitions, such as:

   - *Imperfect self-defense
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperfect_self-defense>*: In some
   jurisdictions, a person who acted in self-defense with an honest but
   *unreasonable *belief that deadly force was necessary to do so can
   reduce a murder charge to one of voluntary manslaughter or deliberate
   homicide committed without criminal malice. *Malice* is found if a
   person is killed intentionally and without legal excuse or mitigation.

If there is a way to express this legal definition via a mathematical
equation I would be delighted to know about it.   Until such a mathematical
formula is supplied, one can hardly help noticing that the concept of
Imperfect self-defense is defined in terms of other verbal concepts such as
'self-defense,' 'honest but unreasonable belief' 'intentionally' etc. whose
meaning is far from self-evident or indisputable and that stand themselves
in need of a definition. In fact at least the conceptual meaning of
'intentionality' has been frequently disputed among philosophers, without
any concensus having been reached on it.Thus any practical dispute that
arises as to the application of these terms can hardly help engaging the
issue of what they mean in the first place.

As to whether all this is useful, it depends... This is not a group for
exchanging cooking recipees, and I am not certain that I am obliged to
demontrate the usefulness of every remark I make, particularly when
'usefulness' itself is not defined. How should it be useful, and to whom ?

O.K.