[lit-ideas] Re: Cartoon Rage vs Freedom of Speech

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:55:32 EST

<<they  publish Carol Gould's
mad rants re the inability of Arabs on the  Edgware
Road to wear poppies>>
Huh????

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Cartoon Rage vs
Freedom of Speech  Date: 2/2/06 12:42:16 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

--- Lawrence Helm  <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> See also Robert  Spencer's comments underneath the
> cartoons.

RS>These  cartoons are much less offensive than what is
routinely RS>printed in  every American newspaper about
presidents, RS>presidential candidates, and  other
pols.

That's impossible for me to gauge but I'd be  surprised
it it were so.  But anyway the US has a First
Amendment  (note the "fire in a crowded theater"
exception), European countries have  hate speech laws.

NB: the British press, which is unruly and  unafraid,
did not reprint the cartoons albeit _The Spectator_
now  has.

(It would be frontpagemag, they publish Carol Gould's
mad rants  re the inability of Arabs on the Edgware
Road to wear  poppies.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff

To  help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo!
Security Centre.  http://uk.security.yahoo.com