[lit-ideas] Re: Car culture

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:37:53 +0900

On 4/3/06, Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i would love to not have a car. the expense, the bother, the lack of
> exercise, and so on.
> when i had jobs at corps within bicycling distance, i left the car at home.
> but it's simply
> impossible to live in Calif without a car. i wonder what will happen when oil
> goes to
> $20/gallon.

It isn't just California. It's the whole world of exurban development
that Joe Girardeaux describes in _Edge Cities_, where most of the U.S.
economy is now located. Unless internal combustion engines are
replaced by alternative power plants, the U.S. as we know it is in for
some radical changes. One imagines for example something like what is
already happening in the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. Those wealthy enough
are moving into luxury apartments in city center apartment towers
located next to office buildings and shopping and recreational
faciities. The builders hype "New Urban Lifestyles," one of whose key
features is having residence, work and play all within easy walking
distance. Meanwhile, land values are falling in the outer suburbs,
which may become slums, inhabited only by those whose jobs don't pay
enough to allow them to live closer to the center.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.