[lit-ideas] Re: Capel-le-Ferne

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:16:36 -0700

On Jul 13, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 7/12/2010 5:42:25, judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Isn't Capel-le-Ferne a weird name for a Kentish
> place?

not since 1066.. 'capel' is old Norman. (It's also Welsh.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff

-----

Bravo. The English who spoke French in England had a problem with the /k/ sound, but then also did the French. In all Romance languages, the old /k/ sound of the Latins is maintained in things like 'capel'.

Only in French, and English, they geminate that into /tch/. Capel becoming "Chapel" and 'camp' becoming "Champs elysees".

----"Ferne" is a French, name, too, common in Kent, as Judy notes, since 1066.

A man who is born in Kent is called "Man of Kent". The expression, "Woman of Kent" is also used, to distinguish her from "Kentish Woman".

Etc.

That a place in Kent was awarded a Norman name wasn't puzzling me; it was the fact the name had remained unchanged throughout long periods of anti-French feeling. I imagined, perhaps because I have lived too long in America, that in the era of Martello Towers, old Mr. Swing (a.k.a Captain Swing), Rick Burner of Kent, might have said to his fellow villagers, "I say chaps, why don't we rename Capel-le-Ferne something a bit more English? Hand me that handy French-English dictionary and I'll find out what is says about 'Ferne.' Damn, the blasted word isn't in there. Cunning devils the French, not revealing what everything means. I bet in a couple of hundred years they'll be trying to sell us theories to remedy the situation."

BTW in Jan of 2008 you could have bought your very own Martello Tower: http://www.martello-towers.co.uk/news.htm

David Ritchie,
West of Half.com