[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 00:59:57 -0400

I was myself originally reacting to Paul Stone's notion that large, powerful dogs could not be trained by old guys and women because with such a dog one had to 'kick ass' in order to train or control it, and that in order to kick ass one had to be physically stronger than the dog.

I wasn't suggesting that an old guy or a woman couldn't kick the ass of a dog. It's like the elephant who you tie to a post when they are little... sooner or later they stop trying to tug away the little chain, even though, at full growth, they easily could. Train a dog early, you won't have a problem because he knows who is boss. You have to show him who's boss though. Because everyone knows you can't teach an old dog new tricks -- and in this instance, I'm really talking about dogs, not old guys... or women. But showing a dog who is boss may only require figurative ass-kicking.

paul

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx