[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:43:26 -0700

David Ritchie wrote:

But Lawrence is, I think generally right; dogs who want to lead the pack will challenge until they either win, or figure out who really ought to lead the pack. Less ambitious dogs have different understandings of the world and should be trained differently.

Again, no one is questioning that dogs will (well, a lot of dogs will) keep challenging you until you arrive at a modus vivendi; and some will keep trying it on until old age or boredom sets in. I don't know how this discussion became one in which it's being argued that Lawrence is right and the straw man is wrong.

Robert Paul
feet resting on a sleeping Terrier
somewhere south of Reed College